Okay, I might not have a full 101 yet, but maybe I will just pop back in here from time to time and edit this post. And maybe the things on this list don’t apply to your teen. If that’s true, you should consider trading her/him in for one in foster care. OH COME ON – I’m kidding! But in all reality, if yours isn’t like this, I would recommend reading Loving Our Kids On Purpose by Danny Silk and/or running yourself to the first Love and Logic class you can find.
- You can have an intelligent conversation without whining (and if you can’t with your teen, go find a Love and Logic class FAST! It will change your LIFE!)
- The can hike much longer than the little ones.
- They like to watch shows like The Walking Dead, instead of Ninjago.
- They can teach you things like how to longboard.
- They know how to express their feelings.
- They can help with dinner. (and if you yours doesn’t, go find a Love and Logic class FAST! It will change your LIFE!)
- You can share clothes with them!!! (this is super fun – one of my faves so far)
- They are another person for your little kids to connect with. (another one of my faves so far)
- Their rooms are super messy (Okay, I know this is a weird one, but there is something about walking my my teenager’s messy room, knowing it is fully her problem if she can’t find something. The little kids have to keep theirs clean or they can’t find things, and it becomes my problem.)
- They carry groceries in from the store and put the food away. (and if you yours doesn’t, go find a Love and Logic class FAST! It will change your LIFE!)
What I really want to say here is that things are going great. We love our teen. If you’ve ever thought about opening your home, please do it. Here is a quick little list on what you have to do to become a Koinonia Foster Parent. Going forward, it’s a dual certification for Foster Care and Adoption.
And…no I haven’t had to use Love and Logic with my teen yet. I’ve just got it in my back pocket. All the love keeps spilling out, but I just leave it laying around like confetti. It’s pretty to look at 🙂